Swan Hall was one of three original buildings of the Eagle Rock campus. First conceived as a men's dormitory, Swan Hall was converted into faculty offices and seminar rooms during the building boom of the 1960-61 academic year. In 2012, Swan enters its third incarnation. Architect Brian R. Bloom retained the original exterior fabric of Myron Hunt's design, while retooling the existing 16,340-square-foot interior to resolve architectural quirks such as the offset floors between the building sections, as well as adding a 22,500-square-foot wing fafcing Alumni Avenue. The new Swan Hall will house seminar rooms, psychology labs, faculty offices and administrative spaces.
The Samuelson Alumni Center
The Samuelson Alumni Center at 1599 Camous Road is the new home for Alumni Relations. Designed by architect Craig Stoddard to echo the classic lines of Occidental's Myron Hunt buildings, it will house the Alumni Relations offices together with an outdoor patio, the Fiji Asesmbly Room on the first floor, four upstairs guest rooms and a kitchen. For many years the home of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity (or the "Fijis"), three members with a distinguished record of service to the College - Morgan Odell '42, Bill White '47, and Jim Goss '51, all of whom died in 2010 - were among the Alumni Center's biggest advocates. The 8,000-square-foot building with red tile rood and white stucco walls will replace the old alumni office, a converted single-family home one block to the south.